Nikon EN-EL15 Rechargeable Battery - recall
Notice to users of the EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
This is an important announcement regarding the EN-EL15 battery which is used in the Nikon D7000, D800, D800E and Nikon 1 V1 cameras.
While Nikon takes great measures to assure high quality products, it has come to our attention that a certain number of EN-EL15 batteries manufactured by one of our suppliers did not meet Nikon’s internal quality standards. In extremely rare cases, this may cause the battery to overheat and the exterior casing to become deformed. Batteries exhibiting this problem have only been confirmed in the Nikon manufacturing process. We have received no reports of this problem from the market. Therefore, in order to ensure the safety of our customers and their equipment, we have initiated a voluntary replacement scheme for applicable products.
Customers using an applicable EN-EL15 battery may request a replacement battery as indicated below.
1. Locate the lot number for your EN-EL15 battery. Lot numbers are alphanumeric characters printed at the bottom of the name plate on the bottom of the battery as shown below.
2. Check the 9th digit of the lot number as indicated below.
- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is E or F then the battery needs to be replaced as it may be affected by this issue.
- If the 9th digit of the EN-EL15 battery lot number is A, B, C, D, G or any subsequent letter in the alphabet then the battery is safe to use.
This issue does not apply to EN-EL15 batteries supplied with the D7000 and Nikon 1 V1 purchased before February 29, 2012 or to batteries purchased individually before February 29, 2012.
Replacement battery requests
To request a replacement battery please call or email our Customer Support Department. use this web address https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/contact_us . Office opening hours are Monday to Friday - 9.00AM to 5.00PM.
When you contact us for a replacement battery the following information is required. Please remember to include this information to ensure the fastest possible service.
- Email address
- Full postal address
- Telephone number
- Lot number of your battery
We will deliver the replacement battery to the address provided and collect the affected battery at the same time.
We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you and remain committed to provide only the highest quality products and services for you.