DURAPLUG FACTORY-WIRED EXTENSION LEADS RECALL
It appears that during manufacture a small number of sockets have had the polarity of the wiring reversed, creating a potentially dangerous situation.
Duraplug are recalling these products from both consumers and retailers and have placed advertisements in the Daily National and Electrical Trade Press. In the advertisements, people who purchased Duraplug factory-wired extension leads before 30th November 1988 and have not used them are told not to plug them in or attempt to use them. They should return them to Duraplug immediately. People who have used their extension leads and the lead works correctly are told that it is safe and there is no need to return it.
There are six products affected by the recall:
PRODUCT BRAND NAMES
1) 4 Way Fused Only Extension Lead Duraplug/Woolworths
2) 4 Way Switched Only Extension Lead Duraplug/Tandy
3) 4 Way Switched & Fused Extension Lead Duraplug
4) 4 Way Square Unfused Extension Lead Micromark
5) 2 Way Unfused Extension Lead Duraplug/Woolworths
6) 1 Way Unfused Extension Lead Duraplug
Duraplug have provided a Freephone and Freepost service for the recall. No other Duraplug products are affected.
(Source: Department of Trade and Industry - December 1988)