Calor Gas Ltd is issuing a product recall with immediate effect on all 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive. All such cylinders must be returned to a local CalorLite® stockist immediately.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A 6KG CALORLITE® CYLINDER FOR RECALL
Cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 are covered by the recall. The date of manufacture of the cylinder can be found in two places on the cylinder base ring:
Cylinders to be recalled are 08, 09, 10, and 11.
This example shows a manufacture date of 2010 i.e. AP 10 B.
This example shows a manufacture date of 2010 i.e. 2010/02
These cylinders are safe to use.
They do not need to be returned to Calor, even if the date is 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011.
Upon return, the customer will be issued with a free of charge replacement 6kg CalorLite® cylinder.
CalorLite® retail outlets can be found using the ‘Find A Stockist’ facility at www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist. Click on the CalorLite® Stockist box and press search. Or call 0800 783 4141.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What has happened?
- Calor issued a product recall on 16th September 2014 with immediate effect for all 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders (pictured) manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive, following concerns regarding the potential deterioration of the cylinder. A small number of 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders have been found to be showing signs of premature internal deterioration which over time could potentially lead to a gas escape.
Have there been any consumer incidents?
- There have been no reported consumer incidents to date.
Are any other Calor cylinder types or sizes affected?
- The 6kg Calor Lite® cylinder is the only cylinder that is affected by the recall.
What has caused the deterioration?
- The cause has not yet been identified. We are currently awaiting results from testing undertaken by an independent specialist metallurgist and our internal Calor specialists, who are working to ascertain the cause of the deterioration.
Which cylinders are included in the recall?
- All 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011 are included in the recall and must be returned to a Calor Lite® retail outlet immediately.
- 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders manufactured in 2012, 2013 or 2014 are not affected and are safe to use.
I have a 6kg CalorLite® cylinder – what should I do?
- All 6kg Calor Lite® cylinders manufactured in 2008, 2009, 2010 or 2011 must be returned to a 6kg Calor Lite® retail outlet immediately.
- Any 6kg Calor Lite® cylinder which has already been recalled, tested and confirmed as safe for use will have a small hole (5.5mm diameter) punched into the silver tare disc located on the shroud of the cylinder. These cylinders are safe to use. They do not need to be returned to Calor, even if the date is 2008, 2009, 2010, or 2011.
How can I find my nearest Calor Lite retail outlet?
- There are c.800 6kg Calor Lite® retail outlets across GB participating in the product recall, including all major Calor Centres, Calor Direct sites, stockists and dealers.
- You can locate your nearest 6kg Calor Lite® retail outlet by using Calor’s ‘Find-A-Stockist’ facility at www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist
Can any other Calor cylinder sizes be exchanged?
- The only cylinder that can be issued as a free of charge replacement is a 6kg Calor Lite®.
What will Calor offer me when I return my cylinder?
- Upon return of your cylinder to a 6kg Calor Lite® retail outlet, regardless of how much gas has been used, you will be issued with a full, free of charge replacement 6kg Calor Lite® cylinder.
Will I be charged for the gas and/or a new cylinder hire charge?
- No, the replacement 6kg Calor Lite® will be issued entirely free of charge if you are returning a cylinder as part of the recall.
What should I do if I smell gas?
- If you suspect a gas leak, ring the Calor Emergency Service on 0345 7 444 999, but call 999 immediately if there is any sort of fire.
- Move the cylinder to a safe, open, well-ventilated place, away from any potential sources of ignition.
Where can I get more information?
- Calor has set up a dedicated phone line for any customers who have further questions regarding the product recall. The number to call is 0800 783 4141.